Opera buffa in the 18th Century (singers)
October 1st - first week of February
Last week of February - Third week of June
- 2 vocal students
This module guides the student through a path of vocal and scenic interpretation of one or more scenes from eighteenth-century Opera Buffa's repertoire: Pergolesi, Cimarosa, Paisiello or Rossini (preferably his "Farces in one act"):
- Analysis, study and full understanding of the libretto(s) and character(s) chosen.
- Vocal technique and style coaching in Opera Buffa repertoire.
- Advanced Italian pronunciation and diction classes.
- Specific lessons on Recitativo.
- Individual coaching and group work: vocal and score lessons and group work on Scenic Art (Training of the actor’s body, physical and gestural laboratory).
- Preparation for final exam and concert(s).
Classes will be held in Italian and English.
ERASMUS students have to choose other courses (e.g. Opera History, Poetic and Dramatic Literature, etc.) among those annually proposed by the Conservatory, to reach the total number of required credits.
Special attention will be given to the study of proper Italian diction and pronunciation with native Italian teachers, in building the chosen Opera Buffa character (both scenic and vocal) with full linguistic and stylistic background. Special concentration on Recitativo.
Choice of repertoire according to student’s needs. Possible exchange and collaboration with other students of the Conservatory working on the same repertoire. A unique opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the rich operatic music culture of the territory, attending places of unique musical interest, within the Conservatory (Musical Section of Libreria Palatina, Boito's Studio and Toscanini's Studio) or in the immediate nearby of it (the Library of the Istituto Nazionale di Studi Verdiani, the Museo dell'Opera, the Casa della Musica etc).
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Donatella Saccardi, Adriana Cicogna and Lucetta Bizzi (Vocal coach)
- Roberta Faroldi (diction and actor's work)
- Riccardo Mascia (Recitativo coach)
- Claudia Rondelli, Roberta Ropa, Laura Soracco, Carmen Santoro, Luca Sabatino (Score and Repertoire).
- Upon request a little tour of the main “music treasures" of Verdi's land: the birthplace of Verdi and Villa Sant'Agata , the Toscanini Museum, the world renowned Teatro Regio, the beautiful Teatro Farnese (17th century), the Casa del Suono, etc.
- Opportunity to join Italian Course lev. A2+B1 in the first semester or English Course level B1 or B2 in second semester
Individual tuition: 15 h (per semester) + Group work: 45 h (per semester), plus other group lessons TBA, to complete the ECTS required level
30 ECTS per Semester (only for Erasmus Module)
Description of final examination:
- Performance of an entire scene from a 18th century Opera Buffa, in front of a jury.
- The examination may coincide with a public concert.
Academy of music: Parma
Language training: English, Italian