Piano Accompaniment and Opera Coaching – training
Name and place of institution
Conservatorio di Musica "A.Boito" Parma, Italy
Period(s) of the EOA module in 2017-2018
Intensive Module for POSTGRADUATES only:
• 29 January 2018 – 18 February 2018 (3 weeks)
• 07 May 2018 – 27 May 2018 (3 weeks)
Full time Module for ERASMUS students only:
ERASMUS students may choose a mobility of minimum 3 / maximum 6 months during the academic year 2017-2018, starting from November 1, 2017.
Description of the module
This module guides the student to master the complex and difficult art of the piano accompaniment in opera.
This is planned as follows:
- Performance practice and repertoire (individual lessons,on specific operas according to student’s needs and choices, main opera repertoire, analysis, study and practice on chosen opera scores, different (vocal) accompaniment techniques according to different music styles)
- Répétiteur and coach techniques (theoretical and practical lessons on the basso continuo, as a stage-rehearsal accompanist how to play under direction)
- Specialized practice (vocal repertoire: chamber music and opera scores)
- Score playing (reading piano- and orchestra opera scores)
- Practical internship in Singing lessons and Scenic Art lessons (different needs, different skills)
- Participation in Masterclass(es), essays and concerts as a piano accompanist
Classes will be held in Italian and English.
Speciality of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
Choice of repertoire according to student’s needs.
Special attention will be given to the study of proper Italian diction and pronunciation with native Italian teachers especially for the recitativo study.
Possible exchange and collaboration with other students of the Conservatory.
A unique opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the rich operatic music culture of the territory, attending places of unique musical interest, within the Conservatory (Musical Section of Libreria Palatina, Boito's Studio and Toscanini's Studio) or in the immediate nearby of it (the Library of the Istituto Nazionale di Studi Verdiani, specialized in 19th century opera and music in general, with particular emphasis on the life and work of Giuseppe Verdi, the Museo dell'Opera, the Casa della Musica, Teatro Regio, etc.).
Names of the Professors of this module
Riccardo Mascia, Claudia Rondelli, Carmen Santoro (performance practice and repertoire); Riccardo Mascia, Carmen Santoro (theoretical and practical lessons on the basso continuo); Luca Sabatino, Carmen Santoro (stage rehearsal accompanist); Carmen Santoro, Pietro Veneri (how to play under direction); Raffaele Cortesi, Massimo Guidetti, Nicola Mottaran, Claudia Rondelli, Carmen Santoro (specialized practice); Stefano Rabaglia, Carmen Santoro (score playing).
Possible extras in addition to the module
Upon request a little tour of the main “music treasures" of Verdi's land: the birthplace of Verdi and Villa Sant'Agata , the Toscanini Museum, the world renowned Teatro Regio, the beautiful Teatro Farnese (17th century), the Casa del Suono, etc.
For Erasmus: opportunity to join Italian Course lev. A2+B1 in the first semester or English Course level B1 or B2 in second semester.
October is the month of the Parma Verdi Festival. Facilities are offered to enrolled students who want to experience a show at the Teatro Regio and/or other planned locations.
Number of EOA students
Min. 1 / Max. 4 students
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module
Intensive Module (3 weeks, for POSTGRADUATES only - not available for Erasmus):
- Individual tuition: 24 hours (per module)
Full time Module (for ERASMUS only):
- Semester 100 hours
Number of ECTS credits within Master's accreditation
24 ECTS per semester (only for Erasmus Module)
Online audition (internet link, video) deadlines:
• May 20th, 2017 (only for ERASMUS applicants)
• Sept. 10th 2017 (only for POSTGRADUATE applicants)
Please include a link to a video as well as a c.v. with your application form.
The video must contain at least 2 piano pieces performed live – 1 piano solo and 1 voice accompaniment - without any audio / video post-production. Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by
• end of June 2017 (only for ERASMUS)
• October 1st 2017 (only for POSTGRADUATES)
Description of the final examination
30 minutes performance in piano accompaniment of voice (and/or opera scenes)
Total expenses of the EOA module per student
Only for POSTGRADUATE applicants (not ERASMUS):
€ 975,30 (tuition, registration and regional tax, insurance) each.* **
(Free for students in Erasmus Exchange Programme)
Students must provide for their own accommodation, meals and travelling costs.
The Office for International Relations will provide advice on local accommodation ( http://www.conservatorio.pr.it/accommodation/ )
*Prices do not include travel or living expenses.
** Prices are only applicable for students not currently studying for a bachelor, master's or third cycle degree.
Academy of music: Parma
Period: winter, spring, summer