Opera Production and Internship - Jean-Philippe Rameau's 'Les indes galantes'
January – February – March 2020
communication language: EN
- 2 mezzo-sopranos
- 2 haute-contre tenors
- 3 baritones
- Individual lessons with the voice faculty, the accompanist, and the harpsichord and piano coaches;
- Acting and stage movement lessons;
- Language coaching;
- Rehearsals with the accompanist and the conductor;
- Public performances of the opera.
Only available for students from ERASMUS+ partner institutions (3 months)
In this intensive 3-month course students experience a concertante opera. The singers will be accompanied by a student orchestra of the Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp. The opera experience takes place in the stimulating environment of the deSingel Arts Campus.
The module is intended for 2 mezzo-sopranos, 2 haute-contre tenors and 3 baritones with the objectives of mastering the vocal and artistic challenges, the preparation of an opera role and the search for individual interpretative concepts. The module helps singers build up knowledge of the Baroque operatic repertoire, including style and ornamentation, and provides a full immersion into French language opera.
Participants will attend classes and interact with the regularly matriculated students of the Conservatoire.
Anna Heuer Hansen, a danish dance student at the conservatoire made this short film about her life studying in Antwerp.
At the deSingel Arts Campus, you will be immersed into the professional international art scene on a daily basis. Concerts and presentations by major international musicians, theatre and dance companies are interspersed with your lessons and the bridge to professional life is never far away. The Music department has forged strong connections with Opera-Ballet of Flanders and with several music theatre companies.
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Conductor: Korneel Bernolet
- Vocal coaching: Gary Jankowski, Stephanie Friede, Anne Cambier
- Harpsichord coach: Korneel Bernolet
- Musical preparation/Répétiteur: Sabrina Avantario
- French language coaching: Anne Cambier
- Music history 3 (module on French baroque music): Korneel Bernolet
- Singers are invited to the Kunsthuis Opera Vlaanderen Royal Ballet Flanders to listen to and be involved in rehearsals or to attend pré-general or general rehearsals of the opera productions.
Courses from the list of (Elective) Courses at the Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp
Up to 20 hours/week
- Application deadline through EASY: 1 June 2019
- Please include a link to a video as well as a c.v. and motivation letter with your application form.
- The video (audio-visual recording) must contain at least 1 recitativo and 1 aria / scene from a baroque opera (Lully, Salieri, Rameau, Rousseau, Montéclair, Clérambault, Bernier, Stuck, ...) performed live in French without any audio / video post-production.
- Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by 15 June 2019 (upon receipt of application documents).
Description of the final examination:
Artistic performance test:
- Opera performance, accompanied by a student orchestra of the Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp.
- Free for students in Erasmus Programme, currently studying for a bachelor, master's or third cycle degree. (Not available for Postgraduates)
- Students must provide in their own accommodation, meals and travelling costs.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
Academy of music: Antwerp
Language training: English