Accompaniment Training for Harpischordist - Jean-Philippe Rameau's 'Les indes galantes'
February – March – April 2020
Only available for students from ERASMUS+ partner institutions (3 months)
This module offers 1 harpsichordist specific accompaniment training in French baroque opera basso continuo. The course is designed for a harpsichordist aspiring to work as a vocal accompanist and as a continuo player in French baroque opera. The opera and accompaniment experience take place in the stimulating environment of the deSingel Arts Campus. Harpsichordists will be supervised by a tutor and will accompany singers in different settings.
The harpsichord student will receive weekly individual feedback, personalized advice and new assignments by the harpsichord tutor.
The goal is to improve the knowledge of French baroque operatic repertoire (specifically Rameau) and to address the specific needs and skills of accompaniment. The module helps the harpsichordist building up knowledge of basso continuo in an operatic context and provides a full immersion into a full-scale opera production. The student exercises, develops and improves their skills as an accompanist of different voice types. All participants will interact with the regular students of the Conservatoire.
Anna Heuer Hansen, a danish dance student at the conservatoire made this short film about her life studying in Antwerp.
At the deSingel Arts Campus, you will be immersed into the professional international art scene on a daily basis. Concerts and presentations by major international musicians, theatre and dance companies intermingle with your lessons and the bridge with professional life is never far away. The Music department has forged strong connections with Kunsthuis Opera Vlaanderen Royal Ballet Flanders and with several music theatre companies.
Name(s) of the professor(s) of this module:
- Accompaniment and coaching (individual lessons dealing with the specific skills of an opera coach): Aäron Wajnberg
- Specific French style harpsichord coaching (solo and/or ensemble playing): Korneel Bernolet
- Basso continuo, with focus on Rameau: Korneel Bernolet
- Language coaching French: Anne Cambier
- History of music, focus on French baroque module: Korneel Bernolet
- Vocal conducting: Luc Anthonis
Harpsichordist will be invited to the Kunsthuis Opera Vlaanderen Royal Ballet Flanders to listen and be involved in rehearsals or to attend pré- general or general rehearsals of the opera productions.
Courses from the list of (Elective) Courses at the Royal Conservatoire, Antwerp
About 20 hours per week - 3 months
- Application deadline through EASY: 1 June 2019
- Please include a link to a video as well as a c.v. with your application form.
- The video must contain:
- at least 2 long recits or scenes (with more than one singer!)
- and at least 1 long aria performed live - voice accompaniment - without any audio / video post-production.
- Teachers will review the material submitted and will communicate the results of the selection by September 15, 2019
Description of the final examination:
- Permanent artistic evaluation over 3 months
Total expenses of the EOA module per student:
- Free for students in Erasmus Programme, currently studying for a bachelor, master's or third cycle degree. (Not available for Postgraduates)
- Students must provide in their own accommodation, meals and travelling costs.
Teaching language/Required level of language: English – B2
Academy of music: Antwerp
Language training: English