Arte Della Scena: Italian recitativo and belcanto vocal style in 18th and 19th-century operas, from Handel to Mozart and Rossini to Verdi
Name and place of institution
Conservatorio di Musica “Luigi Cherubini”, Firenze, Italy.
Periods of the EOA module in 2017-2018
- 5 – 25 October 2017 (20 days)
- 6 – 26 March 2018 (20 days)
ERASMUS students may choose an exchange of min. 3 and max. 6 months starting from Oct. 5, 2017.
Description of the module
- Advanced Italian pronunciation and diction classes. Analysis and study of characters and librettos. Training of the actor’s body. Stage expression and speaking voice placement. Individual coaching and group work.
- Vocal interpretation of full opera scenes, mostly concentrating on the recitativo part (secco, accompagnato, dramatic scene, etc.). Individual coaching and group work. Preparation for final exam and concert production(s). Classes will be held in Italian and in English.
Speciality of this module in comparison with other courses in Europe
Special emphasis on Italian diction and character & role interpretation taught by native speakers of Italian. Possible assistance and exchange in classes with Italian students working on the same repertoire.
Names of the Professors of this module
Francesco Torrigiani (actor’s work), Gianni Fabbrini (vocal coach), other teachers of the Opera and Vocal department: Donatella Debolini, Ester Castriota, Anna Di Gennaro, Marta Taddei.
Possible extras in addition to the module
On request, a short programme incl. city tour(s) concentrating on special 'musical' aspects of the city: Palazzo Pitti (where the first opera ever was staged in 1600, Peri's "L'Euridice"), Accademia Bartolomeo Cristofori (historic pianos), Museo degli Uffizi, Galleria dell’Accademia, etc.
Number of EOA students
Min. 5 students / max. 15 students.
Number of teaching/production hours of the EOA module
Individual tuition: 8 h (per module). Group work: 45h (per module)
Number of ECTS credits within Master's accreditation
2,5 ECTS per module.
• Application deadline: September 4th 2017.
• Application deadline for Erasmus students: July 15th 2017.
Please include a link to a video (online audition) as well as a c.v. with your application. The candidates must add a biography (.pdf file) in Italian or English, describing their artistic development and experiences.
Entrance examination date TBA.
Programme: 2 arias/scenes in Italian, of the 18th or 19th century with recitativo
Description of the final examination
- Performance of a full operatic scene in front of a jury.
- Discussion (in Italian or English) of the student’s interpretation choices.
Total expenses of the EOA module per student
Period n.1 or n.2: €969,24 (tuition, registration, insurance, city tour). * **
Both periods (n.1 and 2 together): €1569, 24 (tuition, registration, insurance, city tour).* **
*Prices do not include travel or living expenses.
** Prices are only applicable for students not currently studying for a bachelor, master's or third cycle degree.
Students must provide for their own accommodation, meals and travelling costs.
NOTE: When singers choose more than one module, Conservatorio Cherubini will reduce their fees. In fact each module includes the following costs:
1. tuition fee (classes, individual lessons, group work) – 850,00€ (1 module) / 1450,00 (2 modules)
2. registration national tax ( academic year) – 116,00€
3. insurance (academic year) – 3,24€
Therefore, singers enrolling in more than one module, since registration and insurance are valid for the whole academic year, will have to pay for 119,24€ + tuition fees for each chosen module.
Academy of music: Florence
Period: spring, autumn